About Kooweerup Regional Health Service
The Kooweerup Hospital first opened its doors as a Bush Nursing Hospital under the auspices of the Victorian Bush Nursing Association on the 11th April, 1921. Since then, it has gone from strength to strength – and is now an important hub within the Kooweerup region. We are committed to continually improving the services we provide to the local community – so that we play a key role in improving the overall health and wellbeing of local residents. We provide round-the-clock medical services on our large hospital site, as well as district nursing in and around the community.
|1921||Opens in Station St with 6 Medical/Surgical and 4 Maternity beds.|
Changes from Private Bush Nursing Centre to a Public Hospital.
Westernport Memorial Hospital was officially opened by the then Secretary of the Hospitals and
Charities Commission, Dr. John Lindell.
First District Nurse appointed. Since then, the service has expanded and we now provide a service
to the community seven days per week.
First residents admitted into our Nursing Home.
Day Activity Centre opened, this service was transferred to MECWA who continue to provide the
service from the Community Hall.
Westernport Memorial Hospital was merged into the Southern Healthcare Network.
The service was devolved from Southern Health Care Network (now Monash Health) back to the
community. The hospital was officially renamed Kooweerup Regional Health Service.
Our 40-bed facility for the frail aged, Killara Hostel, opened.
New Strategic Direction was set and Kooweerup Regional Health Service moved from a Group D
Hospital to the Small Rural Health Service model.
Our Black Fish Medical Centre and Consulting Rooms opened.
Hewitt Eco House Opening